Sneak Peek for Seeing Triple!

And if our God is for us, then who can ever stop us.... 
Romans 8:31
Our God, Chris Tomlin

Hey again! Here's a little sneak peek of the novel I just finished, Seeing Triple. It's about three identical triplets living in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Comments and feedback would be MUCH appreciated :) Hope you like it!


Natalie Gray
High School Football Game



“Sprite sounds great, thanks Lex.” I pull out a few crumpled bills from my bag. “Can you get a bag of skittles too?”

“Def.” 

I trace her silhouette as she makes her way to the snack shack. The bleachers are covered with CCHS students, parents, and teachers, all pumped for the football game. A breeze flutters through the trees, whirling colorful leaves all around me. And I can’t help but feel the goose bumps rising against my icy skin. Should’ve brought a jacket. For crying out loud Nat, you live in Massachusetts, not sunny California!

“So Miss Gray decided to show up after all?”

My mind registers that voice within seconds. 

“Hi Nick.”

Nick Taylor smiles, sitting down beside me. “I’m curious to know who was able to drag you out here.”

“Lexi. You here with anybody?”

“Nah. Came straight from practice.”

“Score any goals?” I ask, diverting my gaze down to the field. Wrong place to look. Rush Deshler in his football uniform and Christiana Callaghan in her cheerleading outfit look as happy as ever.

Nick follows my gaze with his piercing blue eyes. “Still thinking ‘bout that?”

I quickly look away. “You didn’t answer my question.”

“And you didn’t answer mine.”

“Fine.” I cross my arms over my chest, and give him a prim smile. “No. I’m not thinking about that.” I meet his eyes for a second. Ugh, what’s the point? He can probably read my mind anyway with those crazy eyes.

“Really?”

“Well, I mean rarely.” I nod, with a shrug of my shoulders. “Occasionally. Okay, I guess every once in a while.”

He folds his arms over his gray jacket and smiles at me. “I get it.”

“Really?”

“Yeah,” he nods slowly. “Kinda happened to me too, a while back. But I’m over it now.”

“How?” I furrow my brow.

“God can heal it.” He says, as if he knows what I’m thinking. “He’s the Shepherd, after all. Not only can he do it, but he wants to.” He pauses for a minute to let this sink in. “You wanna pray about it?”

“Here?” I wrinkle my forehead.

“Why not? You don’t have to close your eyes or anything, just talk.”

I surprise myself, “okay.”

He smiles and leans closer towards me. “God, I pray that you’ll heal Natalie’s heart tonight, and tell her how much you love her. Bring people into her life that really care about her, and comfort her through this struggle. Bless her, and let her know that she’s not alone on this. In your name, amen.”

“Amen.” I look up at him, as students cheer all around us. “You pray pretty well.”

He cocks his chin and grins at me. “Practice tends to make perfect.”

I roll my eyes, and punch his shoulder. “Now don‘t get all cocky.”

“Me, cocky?” He raises his brows and smiles. “I’m the most humble person you know.”

“And just like that you lost your humbleness.” His laugh mingles with mine.

“Oh, and just to answer your question, I did score some goals.” He bumps his knee with mine in a friendly way.

“Really?” I barley let my eyebrows rise. “Why am I not surprised?”

“Maybe you know me better than you think?”

“And yet you’re still so full of surprises.”

“Go Titans!”  We divert our attention down to the field, just as the referee flips the coin. Tails. That’s us!

A breeze flutters by. And I’m suddenly re-aware of how cold I am.

Nick notices; I can’t help but feel a tiny twinge in my heart as I watch him slide his arms out of his gray jacket before handing it to me. But his short sleeve red shirt looks like it provides him with zero percent warmth in this forty degree weather. I hesitate for a moment.

“Take it. You’re shivering.” He really looks like he wants me to take it, and if I know anything, Nick’s a pretty determined boy.

“Thank you.” I smile, sliding the jacket on, over my arms.

“You’re welcome.” His bright blue eyes lock with mine, and I’m incapable of looking away. They’re smiling and sweet, and sincere; different than Rush’s. I catch my breath. Am I falling for him too quickly? Wasn’t it just five seconds ago that I told myself I wouldn’t give my heart away to another boy, too soon? When Pastor Jon said that we should ‘love our neighbors’ he didn’t mean it literally, right? More like a friendly love than a love, love.

Eww no. I push the thought away. Nick is totally just a friend. I’m only acting delusional and romantic right now cause he’s the first nice guy since Rush.

“I’m baaack!” Lexi drops a diet Pepsi in my lap. Must have forgotten the Skittles. “Sorry, they were out of Sprites.” Her expressions changes when she sees Nick sitting next to me. I slide back quickly, putting more distance between us and wondering how it suddenly got so hot out here. “Oh, Nick! I didn’t know you were here. Where are you sitting?”

Nick smiles. “Hey, Lexi. You didn’t get a soda for me?” he teases. I notice he avoids her question.

“Sorry.” She pops open her can and takes a sip. “Maybe you can share a Pepsi with Natalie.” Lexi raises her eyebrows and elbows me from the side. Great. Thanks for making things a hundred times more awkward.

“No, I think I’m good.” Nick stands up. “I’m gonna go buy a Hershey bar. Have fun, ladies.” I feel my heart sink a little.

“Save a seat for me, Nat.”

“Sure!”

Once he’s out of ear shot, Lexi bursts into giggles. “Save a seat for me, dahhhling.”

I roll my eyes. “Share a Pepsi with Natalie? What was that all about?”

She takes a sip of her Coke. “Oh, puhh leez. You don’t think I see what’s going on here? He’s totally crazy about you!”

The tread marks on my heart appear, once again. “What are you talking about, Lex? Nick and I are just friends.” I grab the skittles from her hands. Maybe the sugar will bring my heart beat back to a reasonable pace.

“Hunaay, I may be blonde, but I’m not blind. I can spot those dreamy blue eyes from ten miles away. He’s got them only for you, and you might as well admit it.”

“I’m not. Cause it’s not true.”


“Yeesh. You’re defensive today. All I’m thinking is, maybe he’s the guy God’s got in store for you. I mean, look at him!” We both turn to look at Nick. He’s talking to some guys by the snack shack, and the white moonlight illuminates off his messy brown hair. “He loves God, plays soccer, is a great friend, super smart, and pretty cute if you ask me. Sure he’s a little big headed and arrogant and likes to argue and makes you feel not so smart sometimes; he’s still a good kid! What more could you ask for?”

I sigh. “I dunno, Lex. I need some time to think.” And to get Rush Deshler out of my head. “Besides, I barley know the guy. I’ve only been here for a couple weeks.”

“Well you know him better than you knew Rush,” she scoffs. “Okay, fine. But think about what I said.”

Oh I’ll think about it, alright. I don’t know if I can stop thinking about it, after all she’s said. Nick Taylor liking me? No, that’s not right. We’re supposed to be friends.

“Hey Natalie, you like Skittles, right?” Nick slides down next to me, handing me a bag. “And I got your cup.” Wow, he does notice everything.

Lexi elbows me from the other side and raises her eyebrows. “What did I tell you? We’re all fools in love.”

And with that, she tosses the last of my Skittles in her mouth.


………………..

Thanks for reading, everyone! Don't forget to leave your feedback :)

Blessings,

Karisa

 


Comments

Popular Posts