Welcome to my blog!


"Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."--Romans 12:2


Hey everyone!

It's Karisa :) For those of you who are new here, this is my website! My bio is below to the right if you're interested in more information. Mainly, I like to post inspirational and random bits of info, but I've also recently been writing a lot about my new teen fiction novel: Seeing Triple. Good news-- the book should be coming around sometime in March!! So excited :) After five long, enduring, incredibly crazy and a bit unbearable years, it's finally happening! Thanks to everyone for your amazing support and visits to my blog-- every click of the mouse helps a ton. I couldn't have done it without ANY of you. 

Speaking of the blog, I am so sorry that I have been slow on posting. Life has been hectic with a capital H--between A Walk to Remember and homework I really don't get out much. Hopefully things should be clearing up soon...eventually. 

Well, I think it's time to be posting another word or two, and so I am very happy to be releasing another excerpt from my novel, Seeing Triple. Seeing Triple is an inspirational teenage chick flik romance (I know, it's complicated) about three teenage sisters in their junior year of high school. Oh yeah, they happen to be identical triplets. This book follows their move from Santa Barbara, California to Cape Cod, Massachusetts. But there's a lot more to it than just that. Anyways, I don't want to give out any spoilers...okay. Fine. I will. Below is a chapter or two from the book, in two of the sisters' perspectives. The first sister is Madi, a laid-back, easygoing, soccer-playing jokester, and the second is written from her triplet Natalie

Don't forget to subscribe to my website by entering your email above if you're interested in hearing more, and please feel free to leave your feedback and comments below. I love getting feedback from you guys--it helps me with my writing a ton! 

Thanks again for stopping by to my website. Spread the word. God bless, and shine on, my stars!

Blessings,

Karisa





Madi
October 21, Friday
Coast Guard Beach
Close for Comfort

            Beaches always have this certain smell about them. Sort of like sandy sunscreen. I haven’t figured out whether I like that or not.
            I think about this as I walk down to the beach with Tori, where there’s a humongous fire ball burning. Tons of school peeps lounge on the sand.
            I stop short and smack my friend hard in the chest.
            “Ow! What was that for?”
            “Tori, that’s Daniel.”
            “So?” She raises her brows as we watch the boy with curly brown hair.
            “What’s he doin’ here?”
            “Why don’t you ask him that yourself?” She smiles back as he starts to approach.
            I mutter under my breath as he walks up. “And I didn’t hit you that hard.”
            Daniel carries a big grin on his face. “Hey, guys!”
            “Hey, Daniel. What’s up?” I shake his hand, and we bump fists. “When did you guys get here?”
            “Not much earlier than you.” He smiles. “You guys up for a game of football?”
            “We just got here.” Tori laughs.
            I cross my arms and smile. “Got a team ready, Coach?”
            “I’m on it.” He grins, mastering a plan. “We’ll do guys versus girls. Madi, you be your team’s captain.”
            No sweat. I salute to him. “I’ve got it down.”
            Daniel rounds up a bunch of people down for the game, while I work out a plan of my own. Even though we’re outnumbered, I know beating the boys will be a piece of pumpkin pie.
            “You think you can handle us, Gray?” Daniel puts up his arms and shouts from his side of the sand.
            I raise my brows and flash a wicked grin. “Try me.”
            We start off the game with a kickoff planted by Bryant, and the boys sail through with the first touchdown.
            “Still got that smile?” Daniel jogs by me, the ocean winds playing through his curly brown hair.
            “I’m not over yet, Adams.” I grin back. “Go get ‘em."
            We start up another round, and I let the ball sink right into my waiting hands like a magnet to a fridge. Passing it to one of my teammates, I follow up down the sandy field, outstretching my arms above my head. I barely notice Daniel running up behind me.
            “I got it!” we both shout, diving for the ball. We land in a tangled heap, laughing. I try to get up but end in little success. He laughs and tries to stand, too. Finally he does and gives me a hand up.
            “Thank you, Coach.”
            “You’re welcome, Captain.”
            We turn to look back at our team, lounging around on the sand looking bored.
            “I have to say, I think we make awesome team leaders.” We shake hands and fist bump. “Just look at our teams.”
            “Couldn’t have done a better job training them.” I start to smile. “But I think us girls kicked dude butt tonight.”
            “You girls. Who do you think brought this game together, huh?” Daniel grins. Then someone chucks a water bottle at him.
            “Hey, man! Hurry up!” Jake yells from a distance.
            “Oh, now they wanna play.” Daniel rolls his eyes and smiles at me. He picks up the football, passing it to me. “Guess you girls did win, fair and square. Wanna start off the next game, Captain?”
            “Better pray for mercy, I might not let you off so easy in the next round.” I smile at him, and he dimples back.
            “Try me.”
            Twenty minutes later, the rest of the team’s dropped out of the game, leaving Daniel and me alone to play catch. An old memory sparks in my head.
“Okay, I got an idea,” I start. “Every time you catch the ball, you gotta answer a question.”
            “And take a step forward,” he adds.
            “Okay.” Never heard of that version before.
            “Sounds sweet.” He grins, tossing the ball to me. “You first.”
            I fumble the ball, dropping it to the sand for the first time today. I blush and toss it back.
            He catches it with a confident grin. “Okay, shoot.”
            “Hmm…” I pretend to be deep in thought as he takes a step forward. “What’s your deepest, darkest secret?”
            “Thought you were gonna start off easy!” He chuckles.
            “Afraid to answer, Adams?”
            “No, I like it. Right to the point.” He thinks about it for a second. “I like chocolate. M&M’s are good.”
            “That doesn’t count!”
            “Why not?” He grins goofily.
            “Everyone likes chocolate. Try again.”
            “All right. I talk to my dog sometimes. My sister thinks I’m crazy,” he says, smiling at me.
            “Aw, that’s not crazy.” I smile back. “I love my dog.”
            “What kind of dog you got?”
            “Yorkie Terrier. Her name’s Coco. What about you?”
            “Chocolate Retriever named Jagger.” He throws the football in the air and catches it in a sweep. “I’m into the Rolling Stones.”
He tosses the ball when I’m off guard, but I catch it, startled. “Looks like you got it back,” he says. I chuckle and ease forward a step, still gripping the ball in my hands. “What do you to do for fun?”
            “Soccer’s cool.”
            “I know that.” He smiles.
            I twirl the football in my hand and consider the question. “I like action movies. And rollerblading.”
            We toss back and forth, and I never miss another toss. I learn Daniel’s wanted to be a firefighter ever since his burning house was saved when he was six. He finds out I can’t cook anything except burnt marshmallows. He tells me he has a soft spot for animals, likes country music, and loves playing the drums. I used to hate dogs before we got Coco, played the violin in middle school, and like to belt “Loving You” in the shower when no one’s listening. He’s uncoordinated and clumsy and is always dropping things. I’ve worn my hair in a ponytail every day since sixth grade.
            “I think dolphins are sweet,” I answer. “If the pro-athlete thing doesn’t work out, I wouldn’t mind becoming a marine biologist. Or at least working at Sea World.”
            “They have a sick Shamu show,” he chuckles.
            “Role model?”
            “I thought Spiderman was the coolest when I was kid.”
            “I can see you as a Peter Parker.” I smile at him. I take a deep breath and a step forward. “I don’t like school ‘cause all the numbers make my head spin.”
            “Who does?” He grins. “I collected Pokémon cards in first grade.”
            I surprise myself with what I say next, telling him something I usually don’t even admit myself. “I’m really competitive. People say I’m a different person on the field.”
            His honest brown eyes smile. “I don’t mind competition.”
            “I love cookies and cream ice cream.”
            He takes another step. “I like photography. Not the professional kind, just taking random pics of cool stuff.”
            “Really?” I cock my head to the side and smile. “You know Spiderman’s some kind of a photographer, too? I used to collect stickers and bouncy balls.”
            “I hate clowns.”
            “I hate reading.”
“I like steak.”
            I take a step forward. “I’m a die-hard sashimi fan.”
            “What’s sashimi?”
            “It’s sushi. Raw fish.”
            “Really?” He wrinkles his nose.
            “Yeah, you should give it a try.” I grin. “Sometimes things turn out better than you thought they’d be.”
            “I’ve learned that.” He takes a step forward until we’re face to face, mere inches apart.
            “It wasn’t your turn,” I say almost to myself and stare up into his smiling brown eyes.
            “I know,” he whispers with a smile, his dimples peeking out. I never noticed them before.
            “You have dimples.”
            “Yeah.” He nods, slowly. “I have dimples.”
            “They’re kind of cute.”
            He smiles, and his eyebrows go up a bit.
            What am I saying? And why are we whispering? I shake my head. “Not your dimples. They’re not cute. Well they’re not ugly. I mean—”
            “It’s okay, Madi.” He smiles at me, flashing his dimples again. “I think you have a really cute smile.”
            “Really?” My heart does that weird flip-flop thing that Nat’s always talkin’ bout.
            “Really.” He nods, barely inches away. I’ve never seen him this close before. “Madi Gray, you got one cute smile.”
            I tilt my head and smile. “Daniel Adams, you got some cute dimples.”
            We both smile at each other, just standing there like dumb field animals.
            “It’s your turn.” I hand him the ball, and he drops it.
            “My bad,” he chuckles, scooping it up. Then he shakes his head, smiling sheepishly. “I must not have been paying attention.”
            I ask him some lame question about pasta. It’s the first thing that comes to mind.
            “Mac and cheese.” He hands the ball to me. I take it, and when I look back up, he has a slow smile on his face. “What’s your take on me?”
            I stare down at the vanishing space between our feet. “I don’t think we should take steps anymore.”
            “Why not?” He continues to smile.
            “Uhh.” My mouth hangs open. I try to think of an excuse.
            And then my butt buzzes.
            “My phone’s ringing, sorry.” I reach for my jean shorts pocket and slide to answer. “Hullo? Um, no I don’t think I’m Kara Martinez. Okay, bye.” I hang up and take a tiny step back. “Wrong number.”
            “You sure you’re not Kara?” He chuckles.
            “I’m pretty positive on that one.” I grin back. Then I remember what game we’re playing. “This game’s getting kind of long, don’t you think?” I don’t give him a chance to answer. “Bet I can hit that old trash can over there?” I point far off, and he turns around.
            “Five bucks.”
            “Really?”
            “It’s far, Madi.”
            “Better get out your wallet, Coach.” I squint, narrowing down the silver can with my hawk vision. I yank back my arm and let it sail high into the sky. It follows my sky trail, heading right for the trash can.
            Then a girl obstructs my path, and the football barrels her instead. Careless high school girls.
            “I totally would have made that if the chick didn’t walk in my way, and you know it.” I point my finger at a grinning Daniel.
            “But she did. And it doesn’t make a difference if I know because you missed.” He looks down at me, still grinning big. “Madi Gray missed that huge target. You missed that giant target by a mile.”
            “Stop it.” I punch him in the shoulder, and he laughs.
            “That hit her hard,” I comment.
            “Think she’s okay?”
            “Guess I oughta check. I’ll get back to you on that five bucks.” I jog down to the trashcan, where the girl is still rubbing sand off her sweatshirt. That ball didn’t even have any sand on it.
            I stop midway. I know that face like my own.




Natalie
December 9, Friday
Football Game
Fools in Love

            “Thanks for bringing me, Lex. I really appreciate it.”
            “No problem.” Lexi Matthews beams. “You seemed like you needed to get out of the house after…” She pauses, sensing the awkward moment. “Uh, never mind. You wanna get some snacks?”
            I smile, knowing she’s referring to Madi’s accident. That hit me hard. “It’s okay, I can talk about it. I think she’s getting a lot better.”
            “Sometimes it takes a while for someone to heal.” She stuffs her hands in the pockets of her yellow sweatshirt and pulls out a few dollar bills. “I’m gonna get a hot chocolate. You want something?”
            “A soda sounds great, thanks, Lex.”
            I trace her silhouette as she makes her way to the snack shack. The bleachers are covered with CCHS students pumped for the football game. Even a light snow couldn’t stop the team.
            A gust flutters through the bare trees, whirling bits of snow around me. I rub my arms, thinly covered in a long-sleeve tee. Should’ve brought a jacket. For crying out loud, Nat, you live in Massachusetts, not sunny California.
            “Well, look who we have here.”
            My mind registers that voice within seconds. “Hi, Nick.”
            Nick Taylor smiles, and I can’t help but recall Bre’s words from earlier as he sits down beside me. Jake Gyllenhaal and Chris Pine. What was Bre talking about?
“So, Miss Gray decided to show up after all?”
            “Can’t miss a good game.”
            “I’m curious to know who was able to drag you out here.”
            “Lexi.” My breaths come out in icy gusts. “You here with anyone?”
            “Nah, came straight from practice.”
            “Score any goals?” I ask, diverting my gaze down to the field. Wrong place to look. Rush Deshler in his football uniform and Christiana Callaghan in her cheerleading outfit look happy as ever.
            Nick follows my gaze with those piercing blue eyes. “Still thinking ‘bout that?”
            I look away. “You didn’t answer my question.”
            “And you didn’t answer mine.”
            “Fine.” I cross my arms over my chest and give him a prim smile. “No. I’m not thinking about that.” That was, not until last night. I meet his eyes for a second. Ugh, what’s the point? He can probably read my mind anyway with those crazy eyes.
            “Really?”
            “Rarely.” I nod with a shrug. “Occasionally. I guess every once in a while.”
            He folds his arms over his black sweatshirt and smiles at me. “I get it.”
            “Really?”
            “Yeah.” He nods. “Kinda happened to me too a while back. You get over it.”
            “How?” I furrow my brow.
            “God can heal it,” he says as if he knows what I’m thinking. “Not only can he do it, but he wants to.” He pauses to let this sink in. “Wanna pray ‘bout it?”
            “Here?” I wrinkle my forehead.
            “Why not? You don’t have to close your eyes or anything. Just talk.”
            I surprise myself. “Okay.”
            He smiles and leans closer towards me, saying a quick prayer for healing. “Bring people into her life that care about her. In your name, amen.”
            “Amen.” I look up at him as students cheer all around us. “You pray pretty well.”
            He cocks his chin and grins at me. “Practice makes perfect.”
            I roll my eyes and punch his shoulder. “Now don’t get all cocky.”
            “Me, cocky?” He raises his brows and smiles. “I’m the most humble person you know.”
            “And just like that you lost your humbleness.” My laugh mingles with his.
            “Oh and to answer your question, I did score some goals.” He bumps his knee with mine.
            “Really?” I let my eyebrows rise. “Why doesn’t that surprise me?”
            “Maybe you know me better than you think?”
            “And yet you’re still so full of surprises.”
            “Go Eagles!” 
            We divert our attention down to the field, just as the referee flips the coin. Tails. That’s us!
            A wind gusts by. And I’m re-aware of how cold I am.
            Nick notices, and I can’t help but feel a tiny twinge in my heart as I watch him slide out of his black sweatshirt before handing it to me. But his short-sleeve red T-shirt looks like it provides him with zero percent warmth in this frost-biting weather. I hesitate for a moment.
            “Take it. You’re shivering.” He looks like he wants me to take it, and if I know anything Nick’s a determined boy.
            “Thanks, Nick.”
            “You’re welcome, Nat.” His bright blue eyes lock with mine, and I’m incapable of looking away. They’re smiling and sweet, sincere, different than Rush’s. I catch my breath. Am I falling for him? I recall Pastor Jon’s words in my head. When Jon said we should “love our neighbors” he didn’t mean it that way, right? More like a friendly love than a romantic love.
He leans forward a centimeter, and I feel my heart beating out of my ear drums. Wondering what thoughts are running midfield through his mind. Knowing he can read the ones penned-up in mine. Is he aware that he has this effect on me?
Time freezes over. He raises his hand to my face. I hold my breath. Yes. No.
            “I’m back!” Lexi drops a soda and candy bar in my lap and pouts. “They were all out of hot chocolates.” Her expression changes when she sees Nick sitting next to me. I slide back, putting more distance between us. When did it get so hot out here? “Hey Nick, I didn’t know you were here. Where are you sitting?”
            “Hey, Lexi. You didn’t get a soda for me?” he teases, avoiding her question.
            “Sorry.” She takes a sip from her large-size cup of Coke. “Maybe you can share one with Natalie.” Lexi raises her eyebrows and elbows me from the side. Great. Thanks for making things a hundred times more awkward.
            “No, I think I’m good.” Nick looks over at me, and I will my heart to yield at his feather-light touch. “You got something in your hair.” He leans forward, brushing out a twig. He stands up. “I’m gonna grab a drink. Have fun, ladies.”
            I feel my heart deflate like a helium balloon.
            “Save a seat for me, Nat.”
            “Sure!”
            Once he’s out of ear shot, Lexi bursts into giggles. “Save a seat for me, dahhling.”
            I roll my eyes. “Share a soda with Natalie? What was that all about?”
            She takes a sip of Coke. “Oh, please. You don’t think I see what’s going on here? He’s crazy about you!”
            The tread marks on my heart appear again. “What are you talking about, Lex? Nick and I are just friends.” I take a bite of my candy bar. Maybe the sugar will bring my heartbeat back to a reasonable pace.
            “Honey, I may be blond, but I’m not blind. I can spot those dreamy blue eyes from ten miles away. He’s got them only for you, and you might as well admit it.”
            “Well I’m not, because it’s not true.”
            She smirks. “Suit yourself. Lucky girl, you reeled two guys in less than a month.”
            “Did not!” I flinch. “Take that back.”
            “Whoa, you’re defensive today. Someone PMS’ing? All I’m thinking is maybe he’s the guy God’s got in store for you. I mean, look at him!”
            We both turn to look at Nick. He’s talking to some guys by the snack shack, and the white moonlight illuminates off his messy brown Andrew Garfield hair.
            “He loves God, plays soccer, is a great friend, is super intelligent, and is pretty cute if you ask me. Sure he’s a little big headed and arrogant and likes to argue and makes you feel not so smart sometimes—he’s a good kid! What more could you ask for?”
            I sigh. “I dunno, Lex. I need some time to think. I’ve only been here for a couple months.”
            “Well you know him better than you knew Rush,” she scoffs. “Think about what I said.”
            Oh, I’ll definitely think about it. I don’t know if I can stop thinking about it, now that she mentioned it. Nick Taylor liking me?
            Truth is, I’m not sure why I can’t accept that idea. Lexi has a point here: Nick sure has his handful of redeeming qualities. Not to mention, his words send my heart tripping like a runway star with a broken heel. But something’s always in the way. My pride? I mean, what would Nick think if I ever fell for him? And what if he didn’t feel the same way about me?
            “You don’t wanna miss a good opportunity when it comes by you.” She scrunches up her nose. “I think it says that in the Bible.”
            “Think you’ve been reading a little too much Vogue these days.” I smile at my best friend. “That’s guy advo you’re quoting there.”
            “Hey Natalie, you like Skittles, right?” Nick slides down next to me, handing me a bag. “And I got your cup.”
            Lexi elbows me from the other side and raises her eyebrows. “What did I tell you? We’re all fools in love.”
            And with that she tosses the last of my Skittles in her mouth.

 .............

            And Eagles take home the victory!
We say goodbye to Nick and some others before heading back to Lexi’s yellow Bug. She turns on the ignition.
            And the engine sputters and dies.
            “You’ve gotta be kidding me!” She bangs her head against the steering wheel. “Tell me this isn’t happening!”
            “It’s fine, Lex.” I pat her head uneasily in an attempt to calm her nerves. “Why don’t we just leave your car here for tonight and hitch a ride with someone else?” Then what? Oh God, help me please. “Then you can, uh…” I smile as a flash of brilliance strikes my head. “You can call AAA tomorrow!”
            “Or I can call my parents now.” She slips her phone out, all the while muttering under her breath. “This is a very reliable car. Dad said this wouldn’t happen again…he said the problem was fixed…why isn’t anyone picking up?”
            AAA picks up Lexi’s call on the third ring.
            “Hi, I’m Lexi, and um, my car, it broke down and um…the location? Uhh…”
Lexi’s a mess. Give it to me, I mouth. She hands me the phone, and I can hear the dispatcher shuffling through papers in the background. “Yeah, we can get down there. Where are you?”
            Beep, beep. The service dies as I’m about to batter off our address, and I press the phone to my ear. “Hello? Hello?!”
            “It’s no use, Natalie. The signal failed.” Lexi takes the phone from my shaking hands. I feel like crying.
            She glances over at me. “Where’s your sis?”
            “She left at half time.”
            We pause for a moment, trying to think of someone who could give us a ride home.
            Lexi looks at my sweatshirt and frowns. “You weren’t wearing that earlier were you?”
            I forgot to give it back! “Uh, no.” I cross my arms over it, thinking now would probably be a good time to take it off.
            “Whose is it?”
            But she doesn’t need to ask. We both know exactly who it came from. “Oh, um, it’s Nick’s.”
            “Uh huh.” She nods.
            “What? He’s just my friend. He’s being polite.”
            She smiles. “Just friends.”
            “Exactly.”
            Lexi brushes her blond bangs aside and sighs. “Well, we still need a ride.”
            “Let’s pray,” I say.
            “About my car?”
            “Yeah.” I smile. “Why not?”
            We both take turns to pray: pray that we’ll find a ride home and that we won’t starve to death or be eaten by coyotes before tomorrow morning.
            “In Jesus’ name, amen.”
            I open my eyes and nearly lose my mind as a boy wearing a red T-shirt with nice hair passes by Lexi’s window. Really God, him? Out of all people to send? Maybe you could send two angels by carrying a brand new car engine?  
            Lexi follows my wide eyed gaze to the boy unlocking his beat-up Ford Mustang one car down. Not now.
            “Hey, why didn’t we think of that before?” Her face lights up and she starts to open the car door.
            “No!” I grab the handle to stop her. She looks at me like I’m crazy. I don’t blame her. Here we are desperate for a ride when someone shows up, and I say no.
            “No?”
            “Come on Lex, we barely know him.”
            “You had him over for Thanksgiving!” Lexi shoots me a give me a break look. “Of course you know him. His name is Nick Taylor and he’s your debate partner and church buddy, duh.”
            “No I mean…Lexi, come on. You know Nick, he’s gonna rub it in my face.”
            She sighs. “Natalie, we prayed for a miracle and it’s happening. Now just deal, ‘cause I’m not going to let you stop us from getting a ride.” She points a finger in my face. “It’s time to start being more mature.”
            And before I can stop her she opens the door and runs over to Nick. I turn this thought over in my mind as I follow Lexi over to Nick’s car, my pride biting. By the time I make it over there, Lexi’s already waiting for me in the back seat.
            “You sit in the front.” She smiles.
            I sigh and slide into the passenger seat, only to realize Nick’s nowhere in sight.
            “He’ll just be a minute,” she answers, catching me looking for him. “He’s going to check out my car and see if he can do anything. Such a nice boy, isn’t he?”
            I catch Lexi’s smiling grin in the rearview mirror and match it right back. “Very. You should consider dating him.”
            She laughs at me, and Nick comes around the back of the car. I notice a glimpse of amusement playing on his face as he climbs into the front. His sea-blue eyes cross over to me for a second before he turns on the ignition. It takes all my observant skills to tell he’s resisting the urge to smirk.
            “So you called AAA?”
            I wait for Lexi to answer, but the back seat’s silent dead. Like a hearse. “Yeah, but the service died.”
            “Why didn’t you use your phone?”
            Um. Right. “Who said I didn’t?”
            “You couldn’t have. You lost it, didn’t you?” He smirks. I dig my nails into the side of his seat. Oh, that was so long ago! Why does he have to be so arrogant?
            “Well apparently the angel of technology doesn’t just help you,” I finish.
            “How’s the debate going?” He slows at a stop sign.
            “Fine.” I keep my eyes ahead on the glowing Mobil station.
            “Did you look over the doc I sent you?”
            “Are you checking up on me?” I grit my teeth. Because the answer is totally, definitely no.
            He gives me a weird look. “I’m not allowed to ask questions, now?”
            “I’ve been a little busy.”
            “Doing what?”
            I shoot him a look. “That’s none of your business.”
            He shrugs. “You could’ve just told me you were too busy.”
            “I just did.” I scoff.
            “Why didn’t you say that earlier?”
            “I’m sorry I don’t report everything to you.”
            He glances back at me. “You know that’s not what I meant, Natalie.”
            “I didn’t want you to take on an extra load.”
            “I can handle it.”
            The car dips over a hill, and my heart follows a similar track. He keeps his eyes trained on the road before casting a single glance over at me.
            “What’s with you?”
            “What do you mean?”
            “Why are you acting all…” His brow furrows, but he doesn’t take his eyes off the street.
            “Acting all what?”
            “I dunno. Weird.”
            “I’m acting weird?” I concentrate on my breathing and not my frustration. How is it that my opinion of this boy can change faster than the number of calories I eat? “You’re the one who started this.”
            “How?”
            “By acting all…” I search for the appropriate word to describe Nick Taylor. I don’t think Webster could do the job.
            “Acting all what?”
            “Weird.” I scrunch up my nose.
            “So, what did you guys think of the Eagles tonight? Pretty good, huh?”
            We both turn around to look at Lexi, her sunshiny smile melting all ice in the air. “I knew we were gonna win.”
            The rest of the conversation is a silent ride home. Nick swings by Lexi’s house first.
            “Thanks, Nick. See ya tomorrow, Natalie!” Lexi slams the door behind her and walks up the driveway.
Nick looks at me for a moment before putting the car back into drive.  Five minutes later, we’re parked outside my house.
He props an elbow up on the wheel and watches at me with those cold blue eyes. I have to force myself to glance away, his prayer from earlier ever-present in my mind. What happened to those breathtaking ocean eyes that sent my soul doing back handsprings?
            “Thanks for the ride.” I grab my bag and start to open the door.
            He sighs and runs a hand through his mussed hair. “Natalie?”
            “Yeah?” I turn to look at him, letting the door hang half open.
            “My jacket.”
            Right. I feel my cheeks flush as I pull off Nick’s black sweatshirt.
            “Thanks.” His smile lasts for a brief second, and he tosses the sweatshirt in the back. I step out and start to close the door.
            “Wait, Nat.”
Nat. My heart stutters on that name.
He sighs and leans back against the seat. “Stay for a sec.”
            I let my bag slide to the floor, stepping into the car again. Nick combs his fingers through his disheveled brown hair, and it looks dark in the lighting, almost black. But his blue eyes are bright as ever as he turns them on me.
“I want this to work.”
            What? Our relationship? As friends? As partners in science-crime? As one of those old married couples fighting constantly? As the kid who goes and finds my Bible and buys me Skittles?
“I know, and I’m sorry.” I turn away from his gaze, diverting my eyes out the window.
“It takes two people to fight,” he says, easing the blame off me.
“But I think it’s my pride.” I swallow, remembering what Lexi said earlier about maturity. “It’s always getting in the way.”
            “It happens to the best of us,” he says, and I know that’s his way of forgiving me.
            “Friends?” I hold out my hand like we’re making a truce. He shakes it with a smile.
            “Friends. I want to show you something.”
            “What is it?”
            “Follow me.”
            He opens up my car door, and I follow him to the driver’s side, our feet crunching in the lightly packed snow. Under the dim lighting of the icicled street lights I can make out the scratched window and smashed metal.
            “The accident.” My eyes take in the bashed up side. I don’t know how I never noticed this before. “I didn’t know it was this bad.”
            He nods, the street lamplight casting shadows on his face. “Did I ever tell you about that night?”
            “A bit. You did that day Lexi and I came after your practice.”
            He sticks his hands in his jeans pockets and leans to one side. “Well there’s a lot more to it than just that.”
            “I like stories.”
            “Long ones, too?”
            “I think”—I smile at him—“that we can spare some time.”
            He looks down towards the icy street. “Last winter, I was coming home from a friend’s house, lived out near the bluffs. It was late—the roads were wet—when a deer stepped in front of the car, and I lost control of the wheel.” Nick shakes his head. “If it wasn’t for a tree, I would have gone over. The only thing between me and the cliff was the cross.” He looks at me, and I see nothing but gratitude shining in his eyes. “God saved me.”
            I look at Nick Taylor for the hundredth time, but this time I see something different in him.
“That’s a beautiful story, Nick.”
            He smiles at me. “I thank God every day for putting that tree where it was.”         
“You haven’t gotten your car fixed?”
            “My mom wants me to pay for it. So I won’t be so ‘careless’ in the future. That’s why I’ve been working at Al’s during the summer.” The moonlight reflects off the bash in his car. “To pay for the wreck.”
            I smile. “That’s quite a story.”
            We stand there in silence for a few moments, but it doesn’t seem very quiet at all. Not after that miracle story from my physics partner.
            “I also brought this.” He reaches into his jeans pocket and pulls out…
            A hot pink Sharpie?
            “You remembered!”
            He laughs with me. “How could I forget?”
            “But we’re not at school anymore.”
            “True,” he says. “You could write it here.” He points to the construction sign in front of my house.

Sidewalk Construction: December 14.

            “On the sidewalk?”
            He shrugs. “Why not? It’ll be gone by the end of the week.”
            “But it’s covered in snow.”
            “We can fix that.”
            I can’t help but laugh as he brushes out a little spot for us to write on. I write my name in tiny pink lettering along the sidewalk. Then he writes his name next to mine.
            “You know what I’ve never done?” I look at him with a slow smile, and he raises his brows. “I’ve never made a snow angel.”
            “Really?” he laughs. “Tonight’s gonna be your first.”
            “You’re gonna have to teach me.”
            “Snow’s kinda thin.” He looks at the ground, and his eyes smile. “But we’ll make it work. Lie down.”
            I look at him like he’s crazy. “I’m not lying in that!”
            “How else do you expect to make a snow angel?” Now it’s his turn to give me the look of insanity.
            I stare down at the snow. The inch-deep, icy, stain-your-jeans-with-a-wet-patch kind of snow.
            “Here.” He grabs his sweatshirt from his car, tossing it back to me.
            I fall back onto the snow, his black sweatshirt embracing the brunt of the white powder. “Is this good?”
            “You’re doing fine. Now spread out your legs and arms and wave them.”
            I quirk a brow. “I think I’ll need a personal demonstration, please.”
            “No way am I lying in that.”
            “Afraid of a little water?” I smirk at him.
            It takes him five seconds to make a perfect snow angel. I follow, and then we sit in a little cleared-out patch on my lawn, laughing at our shapes.
            “Yours turned out cute! Mine looks like a dead walrus.”
            “It’s your first time.” He holds out his palm, and I slap it. “You learned from the best.”
            “A little high and mighty there, aren’t we?” I grin, and we share a laugh. “You know I was kidding about the Sharpie on the bleacher thing, right?”
            “No, really? I had no idea.” He smiles. “Yeah, I could tell. I thought it would be fun, anyways.”
            I pull my knees up to my chin, tracing my name in the snow. The roar of an airplane engine drifts above, its twinkling carmine lights creating a path in the midnight sky. That was me a few months ago. On my way over to Cape Cod, the town barely on the U.S. map. My embarrassing moment at the airport brings a smile to my face as I recall the alarms and emergency exit door. Thank goodness my family is so forgiving. 
            “You ready for the debate?”
            My heart skips a beat at the reminder. Two days. “I will be. After a lot of prayer and preparation.”
            “Prayer tends to work things out.”
            “Have you been?” I turn to him and ask. “Praying?”
            “I try to whenever I can.” He looks at me and smiles.
            We sit there in silence for a few more minutes, until I see a light flicker on in the house.
            “Well I guess I should be going.” Nick stands up, giving me his hand. “We’ll get frostbite if we sit out here any longer.”
            “It’s getting kinda late.” I attempt to brush the wet snow off my jeans then hand him back his pen.
            “Keep it.” I can make out his white smile in the darkness as he holds up his hands. “You want me to walk you up?”
            “Oh no, it’s fine.” I smile, leaning my head to one side, looking at him from a different angle. “You’re a pretty polite kid, you know that?”
            “Don’t forget it.” He grins.
            “Well, thanks for the ride and all.”
            “Anytime. Oh, and Nat?”
            I turn around.
            “I hope God works things out for you. You deserve it.”
            “Thanks.” My insides do a 360.
            My eyes trace the curves and edges of an angel sketched in my snowy lawn. Some angel. An angel who goes partying on a Thursday night.
            “Wait—Nick!” I jog back to him at the end of the driveway, where the click of his keys bounce off the icy pavement.
“I…” I scan his face and then meet his eyes before looking to the ground. “…I went to a party last night.”
            His breath comes out in smoky wisps. “Okay.”
            “Okay?” I raise my eyes to him. “You don’t care?”
            “Going to a party doesn’t make you a bad person, Nat.” He looks down at me, his cheeks flushed from the cold air. “It’s how you let it affect you.”
            I swallow. “I thought you’d be disappointed.”
            “Why?” He takes a step forward, towards me. I divert my eyes to my shoes, feeling like I’m six. And overreacting over the tiniest things.
He cups his hand under my chin, tilting up. Forcing me to meet those soul-stealing, heart-capturing eyes, sending electrical currents through his finger-light touch all the way to my periwinkle toes. “Why, Natalie?”
            “Cause I should have been preparing. The debate’s in a few days.”
            “Everyone has a different way of taking a break.”
            “I know this is big for you.”
            “Us.”
            I look away. “And you’ve been talking about how important this is.”
            Nick takes a step forward. “It’s not just that.”
            “But you’ve been working really hard. And I slacked off.” I look up to meet his eyes.
            And see them melting like the snow off his windshield.
            “Don’t think that, Nat.” This time he holds out his hand. “Friends?”
            “Friends.”
            We finish shaking hands, but he doesn’t let go. His starry gaze starts to pull me in. I take a tiny step forward.
            “Don’t think that,” he says again, and I can feel his breath on me.
            I search his face and feel suddenly afraid. “What am I supposed to think?”
            “Don’t.” He pulls forward. My heart beats out of its chest.
            And I turn my face into my shoulder, his head stopping centimeters away from mine.
“I—I have to go,” I finally whisper.
            He nods, and I can’t stand to meet his eyes. When I finally gain the strength to look up, he’s already ducked back into his car.
            I unlock the front door to my house and close it behind me. Mom says that when one door closes another door opens.
Never mind the fact that he can verbalize my thoughts like an Eagles soccer playbook. Never mind the way he seems to know just what I need to hear or the hold his Pacific-blue eyes have on mine. Never mind that his egotistical antics drive me crazy, but I find myself falling all over his arguments just the same. Right now I’m not sure if I want another door opened so Nick Taylor is nothing more than a friend.
            A car engine roars outside, and I glance out through the living room window. Nick’s headlights light up the room for a brief second, and then he’s gone. I slide to the floor and stare at the hot pink Sharpie in my hand for a long time, feeling his heavy sweatshirt still cloaked around me.
            Right. Nothing more than a friend.

























Comments

WhatAreYouBuyen said…
Do you have a wattpad account or somewhere where you post your other writings? ;)

I write a lot, mostly poems, and I would love to see some of your other work!

thanks!
Karisa said…
Hi there!!

Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting! It really means a lot.

Yes, I do have a Wattpad account! You can find it simply under my name Karisa You, and I've published two works: Previews from Seeing Triple (my work in progress) and a sample chapter from a sequel I'm considering writing for Seeing Triple. I actually don't write to many poems (but I do compose a lot of pop/county songs, about thirty so far!:) but you can check out my account anyways! Unfortunately, most of what I've posted on there so far is the same that I've posted on here--I don't want to give away too many sneak peeks. Feel free to stop by my Wattpad account, as I'll be posting more prose and pieces on there hopefully soon!

Good luck and God bless with your writing--I'm sure you have a great talent!! Keep it up :)

Blessings,

Karisa

Popular Posts